Hey ALL! It’s good to be back to post about the progress on the u13 empress. She is so demanding…. *put stupid looking emicon here*
With respect to the work that needs to be done to fit the crower cams, I’ve gone ahead and done some machine work with my trusty rotary tool. You can get the Dremel Rotary Tool (http://www.dremel.com) at any hardware store. It comes with fixed speed and variable speed variants and a plenum of different attachments giving you a very versatile tool. With working on the cast aluminum head, I’ve chosen some metal working bits that require high revolutions, 18 THOUSAND revolutions as specified but the Dremel Manual.
I used a series of high speed cutters
Grinding Stones w/ Silicon Carbide
Now I’m not exactly teaching the best way to do this as I still have the valve springs, retainers, and even valves in the head. I’ll explain why I don’t have them removed later. The work that needs to be done is rather delicate and requires some patience, especially when you work with a fast working toolset. Aluminum is a soft material and should be dealt with carefully as to not remove too much material.
When I used to fiddle around at my schools machine shop, we would dye the material with a special machining dye and then etch out an outline of the work to be done. Much like that process, I had a handy blue sharpe and proceeded to mark out any high spots, or rough spots which needed another pass with the dremel.
With all of the excess material sitting on top of the head, I needed to clean the cam journals as to not cause any damage when test fitting the cam lobe clearance. After I utilized the dremel polisher to clean the cam journals, I spread some oil on the journals before test fitting the cams on the head.
I’ve completed approximately 70% of the rough machine work for the cams, with the remaining 30% due for completion when I remove the valve springs and retainers. With the removal of these valvetrain components, I needed a specialized valve spring removal tool which I rented from a local autoparts store. Part Source. Unfortunately for me, the valve spring tool that I rented wasn’t for my application, and was designed for domestic engine heads with valve springs sticking outside of the main heads assembly.
What I will be needing is a specialized valve spring compressor tool designed and sold by Jim Wolf Technologies. This tool can be utilized for the KA, QR, VQ and VK engines.
My friend Mad Hatter and I will be purchasing this tool and showing its use in future posts.
I’ve taken the liberty to update and sort some of the links to the right of the blog. I hope to add more as this blog continues to grow, being that the links are a reflection of what i’ve learned, and what can be accessible for builds like this.